Monday, May 17, 2010

Frazzled Berries

Little ones counting a bounty of berries ... 145, 146, 147 as they grew on the vine. Our mouths watered each day filling buckets to drench them in rain. Living in the desert, we cultivated the sandy soil, babied our seedlings and provided puddles. If only we had remembered the sun.

Scorching temps pounded our beloved berries. Sun drenched them in heat. To simply survive, the plants wilted, abandoned their fruit. Scorched leaves, shriveled berries we will never taste. We were so close.

A few months ago, counting the fruit of ministry about to ripen. We moved to the desert. We cultivated the soil in our hearts the best we knew how. Puddles of occasional nourishment watered our souls. If only we had remembered the sun.

I am not one to give up in gardening or life.

A simple remedy, a green piece of shade plastic nailed on boards. Covering the baby plants. protecting them from the scorching sun of the desert. Simple shade.

Nailing His shade over my life as well. Getting out from the scorching sun, I find rest, protection, comfort, and shade in His Word. Reading through Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Acts, soaking in Jesus' words. Sitting in the shade of His promises regardless of the desert sun blazing around me. Never forget the sun. Find shade.

The story doesn't end ... gardening shears, clips, snips, dead fruit removed. The plants fought stubbornly as the itchy bumps on my arms prove. Somehow I feel I fought just as hard. Dead leaves and fruit pruned from my life. Anticipating sweet fruit of this next season.

13 comments:

Denise said...

Be greatly blessed, now, and always. I love you.

Linda said...

Sweet Sara - as you faithfully tend your "garden" I know He will cause you to bear much fruit. There are always seasons, but He is always at work.

Unknown said...

Enjoying the fruit He is bearing in your life!

Tasting and seeing just how good our God is every day!

Love and hugs,
Jill

Karen said...

May your first harvest be rich and bountiful....

Andrea said...

Pruned and a little pickled from a few seasons of life...I find so much hope in this post. Thank you for always blessings me so when I come here.
Hugs, love, and prayers, andrea

Heart2Heart said...

You know living out in the desert you would think I would know better by now how great shade cloth works for us but I never thought of using it like you said to save the wilted strawberries. Thanks for that tip and the one for my soul as well. Love how you tied them together.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

elizabeth said...

Fruit that remains as you abide in Him...Amen and Amen!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Even in your desert times, my friend, you continue to bear fruit here. Bless you, dear one. This post strikes deeply, and I send you my love ...

Beth Herring said...

I am always pleasantly splashed with a glimpse of God here on your blog. Lovely sentiment and awesome writing.

You are a blessing,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Love it! As always. xo

KAT . . . said...

Excellent, Sara! Absolutely excellent! Thank you.
Holy hugs, Kat...

Saleslady371 said...

That sun really gets hot sometimes in gardening here in the desert and in life!

prashant said...

Enjoying the fruit He is bearing in your life!
data entry work from home