Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What to really hold


I noticed this week as he slipped his hand in mine.  He is growing up.  No longer little chubby fingers squished in mine.  Nope.  We measured.  His hands are almost the same size as his mommas.

In that momma moment, when time halts for a second and memories collide with dreams of the future,  I smiled, envisioning all the things his hands will hold.

 A baseball bat, swinging for the fences.  A sharpened pencil taking a college exam.  A young woman's hand slipping a ring on her finger.  Chubby baby fingers as she curls her fingers around daddy's.


And this morning, tucked in our treasure time.  I glanced over and saw his hands.  Flipping power pages and holding world changing truth.  Of all the things to hold, this will mark his course and guide his hands whatever they may hold.

God's Word.  The children's tune stuck in my head "the b-i-b-l-e, yes that's the book for me" hold it.  Grab it.  Devour it.  Model it for our kids.  It never changes.  The Words only change us.

Our culture radically shifts.  The popular changes in an instant.  Morality  sways with the passing breeze.  But His Word never will fade.  Hold on to it my son.

"I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart so I won't sin myself bankrupt.  Be blessed, God; train me in your ways of wise living.  I'll transfer to my lips all the counsel that comes from your mouth.  I delight far more in what you tell me about living than in gathering a pile of riches.  I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you, I attentively watch how you've done it.  I relish everything you've told me of life, I won't forget a word of it."  
- Psalm 119:11-16


2 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, holding on tightly.

Alicia said...

Oh, YES--- these kids of ours change way too quickly, don't they- and the world spins circles around them- no true north- but we can give them ONE TRUE GOD. I love the sight of the Bible in my children's hands- a picture of hope and dreams and foundation all in one. Love the way you write. So fun to visit again!