Monday, November 16, 2009

Thirsty

"But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." - John 4:14

I am on a journey. A journey into deeper intimacy with my Lord. Circumcision of heart. Humbled by His hand. I see the need. To be washed in His love, drenched.

Laying aside times of ministry. Focussing on resting in Him. Just us. Gentle worship. Soaking in the Word. Feeding my soul the nourishment it lacks. Filling my mind with His promises of truth. A journey.

Reading with my children, C.S. Lewis speaks to my heart

"Are you not thirsty?" said the Lion.
"I'm dying of thirst" said Jill.
"Then drink," said the Lion
"May I-could I-would you mind going away while I do? said Jill.

How often in the past have I sought to quench my thirst, on my own, away from His presence? In my own strength, conquering the foe on my own behalf. Did I ever really win? No, only survived the attack. Submerging the real issue down deeper until it surfaces later again in my life.

"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer.
I suppose I must go and look for another stream then.
"There is no other stream," said the Lion

Revealed in His love, my pride. I can do this on my own, I can fight this again. Pray harder, develop more self-control, discipline it out of me. Looking for another stream.

Only His stream will quench my thirst. Only His waters will wash away the scars of the past that taint my life. His love. His healing.

Soaking in His songs of love over me. Gently reading the gospels over and over, aloud that they may penetrate my heart and not just linger in my mind. Declaring His promises as a part of my daily bread, feeding His nourishment to my soul. Simple things to come to His waters and allow Him to quench my thirst, and saturate me with His love.


image signature
friends, your comments, precious to me. Yet as I journey on this road, I want to train my ears to His Word and His voice alone speaking over me. For a time, this pool will be a quiet reflective place, to come, soak, follow along with me as we wade into deeper waters.