Friday, April 24, 2009

Learning to Mop

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," - Colossians 3:23

Here in Costa Rica, they have saying "If the floor is clean, the house is clean." I have honestly struggled with this cultural concept. I truly like a clean house, but don't quite understand why the floors (which will be walked on again with dirty shoes) must sparkle and shine. But I am learning, learning to mop.

To enable me to embrace this phenomenon, God gave me white tile in our apartment. Our last house had dirt colored tile and mushroom mold growing on our walls. When God gave us a clean place to live, every part was His blessing.

Today it was time to make the floors sparkle! As I scrubbed and mopped, I rejoiced. Remembering less than a year ago when I barely had the energy to get dressed and stay awake for an hour at a time before collapsing. My heart soared. Thank you Lord, for your healing hand on my life, and thank you, for teaching me to mop!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Aren't those cultural differences just fascinating? For instance, in Venezuela - it's offensive to slam a car door.

Rejoicing in your health!!!

Angela said...

Thank you Lord, for your healing hand on my life, and thank you, for teaching me to mop!

amen amen amen...

I was on my hands and knees today washing my floors! As I washed I was saying, "Jesus, I do this unto You, as if it was for You Jesus."

No murmuring or complaining, but having a joy filled heart, thanking God that He has done this great work in woman who like you, a year ago was just 'getting by' with chores around the home.