Monday, September 9, 2013

Thank Goodness


Thank goodness for friends, amazing moms, like Jamie.  She captures real life at One Blessed Lady and makes you laugh out loud while you read, sometimes even snort.  And she stopped by today to splash us moms with some encouragement.   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was on the phone the other day with a friend talking about a recent diagnosis that my younger daughter needs vision therapy.  My friend asked how we realized that there was an issue and I described some of the signs that led me to make an appointment with our optometrist.  In the middle of this conversation, my friend says, “Thank goodness for mamas.”

I thought, “Well, that’s kinda weird.  I’m just doing what any other mother in this situation would do.”

And then it hit me. 

Yes!  Thank goodness for mamas everywhere!

Without mamas, the toilet paper would still sit on top of the empty roll, the milk jug would always be empty and people would be dropping like flies from the scurvy due to a lack of fruit in their diets.

Thank goodness for mamas!

Your job, my job, our job is so incredibly important, especially when it doesn’t feel like it.  The days go on endlessly and, at times, without the all important recognition that we crave.

English muffin pizzas are consumed, laundry magically appears clean and ready to go, grocery shopping done, doctor’s appointments made and rides to and from events are taken care of, all without a thought from anyone else.  Field trip forms are filled out, movies censored, stories read.  Cuddles are given, diapers changed and prayers heard, lessons taught, children trained.

Yes, thank goodness for mamas.

You are doing a job that is bigger than you are.  And yet, you’re doing it.  Day in and day out through the murky trenches of  laundry, chauffeuring, kissing, washing, loving.

Can you hear me applauding you?

This job might seem little, insignificant, exhausting, uninspiring.

But it’s a rather lovely thing, this momentous, heart-wrenching, heart-soaring thing you’re doing.

They will look back and call you blessed.
------------------------------------------------------------

And as always, I would be crazy honored to have you link up with momma notes.  I jot some on Mondays, but you can link up any day of the week (I get the momma, filled to to the brim, schedules)   Just mom.  Sharing our notes.  Creating a melody.


23 comments:

Jamie said...

Thank you, my friend for letting me take over your blog today! I'm so delighted to be here. I'll be popping back over later and linking up so that I can splash along with all of these lovely people!

Sarah said...

Thank you my beautiful friend. You are a real life encouragement to me. So glad you splashed with us.

Hugs - Sarah

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

Absolutely beautiful! Where would we all be w/out mothers!

Sarah said...

Jamie's words ARE absolutely beautiful. I couldn't have said it better.

Anonymous said...

I just loved this today! Thanks for sharing. :)

Beth said...

Amen to this, Jamie! I'm going to be out of town later this week and it will be interesting how my husband and sons will handle my absence! I'm certain it will be a at least a small wake-up call. Mamas really do make families function and hum! Thanks, Sarah, for inviting me and hosting today, my friend!

Anne (Simply Savvy Supermom) said...

What an encouraging post for a Monday! I have been so busy with homeschooling, toddler tantrums, computer work, cooking and cleaning; yet feeling like I wasn't getting enough done. This is just what I needed today.

Janine said...

Thanks so much for inviting me over from mylampsifull.blogspot.com to share my posts. I love mamas!

Cheri said...

Amen, Jamie! Thank you!

Kara said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and inviting me to the link up! I am looking forward to some down time this evening to look around!!

PS was logged in as hubby! I hate that when it happens!

Anonymous said...

This was just what I needed to hear today. Thanks for these encouraging words!

Unknown said...

I missed you! I kept checking and checking... and somehow missed you starting again last week! Love this post! :)

Sarah said...

THanks AJ for checking and checking. Momma is back in the swing of things. And I have some amazing friends that are helping me swing into action again.

Chris said...

Your blog is just lovely! Your style is beautiful!

I subs and followed you on P!

Thank you for the lovely invitation to join you and the others. I look fwd to checking back in later to read a few of the others' posts!

I am abt to grab your button now too for my link up section.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for you! I appreciate the invitation to splash around.

Alicia said...

Oh, thanks for the encouragement, the applause, the words of truth. So fun to meet you here today.

Tanya @ Kentucky Sketches said...

Thanks for the invitation to link up! So glad to join a circle of moms!

Denise said...

Love, love, love this post.

Treasures from a shoebox said...

Great encouragement Jamie! Thanks Sarah, for asking me to link up here so that I could find you. I'm your newest follower.

Karen said...

So true! Sometimes when those children leave for college they realize they have to do those things that 'magically' happened when they were at home!

Linda said...

Love this post! I think we are all chanting "thank goodness for mamas!"
thank you for sharing your words with us this week.

Pam said...

Great post! Happy to be linking up today. Thanks!

Stephanie said...

Thank you for this Jamie, it never fails to amaze me how "in the same boat" we mothers are. I can completely relate to this and even wrote a blog about it yesterday. http://www.bushellandapeck.blogspot.ca/