Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Snake Bite

When you blow it, step on the snake, it rears its head to strike. I stepped on some snakes last night with my mouth open wide, spewing words, and I got bit.

Hearing about a situation, I criticized. I complained. I disagreed and made my point loud and clear. In essence, I tore down. I destroyed. I opened the door wide and welcomed snakes.

Thankful beyond belief, I have a loving Abba who has the serum for my poison words laced with strife. The still voice and the calm hand of my hubby, guided me towards forgiveness. Asking and believing, He forgave. The others involved showered on me as well.

This morning, with boys snuggled close we read about the Israelites and their problems with snakes. I smiled. God knows best. I knew who the lesson was for. We read and I learned. God had given His chosen people blessing upon blessing. Freedom, direction by fire and cloud, supernatural miracles, provision of fresh water and bread from heaven. In the midst of the day to day, they took their eyes off the blessing and wanted more. They complained. They criticized. And the snakes came.

When bitten, the people would die. Desperate the Israelites went to Moses. Pleading for his prayers to God, he agreed. The Lord answered his prayer and gave him the solution. Place a snake on a pole. If anyone was bitten by a snake, they simply must look at the pole and they would not die. Looking up in faith, they would live.

I'm looking up today at a cross shaped pole. One fashioned for my Jesus. A sacrifice that provided me direct access to God without having to go through a Moses to pray for me.

I recognize the problem. Guided by His loving hand, I see my need. Repent. Receive forgiveness. In faith, seeing my scaley words nailed. Turning from the habits of old. Forgetting my past mistakes, I look to the future. I fill my mind, my mouth with His words.

"Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift. Don’t grieve God. Don’t break his heart. His Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit for himself. Don’t take such a gift for granted. Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you. " Ephesians 4:29-32

See friends, I'm a real person. I am learning. We all are. When we turn to the Word of God, we can truly see our lives in truth's spotlight and change. Aligning my life with the Word of God, I commit to guard my tongue and squash the snakes. Just call me snake stomper Sarah.

13 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Sara - I have been there. Sometimes I'm actually thinking that I must not speak as the words are tumbling out of my mouth! Yes - so thankful for grace.

Janis Van Keuren said...

I think we all learn the lesson of the words and their bite. But to hear of Abba Father's forgiveness is soothing relief for my condition.

Blessings,
Janis

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Love this heartfelt post-- I think we can all say we've been there. Thanks for the Words that are perfect to convict, forgive, heal.
Have a blessed day!

Unknown said...

We are all there. I often say that I need a roll of duct tape to keep myself from putting my foot in my mouth. Looking up to heal - love that imagery.

Jen said...

I'm learning this lesson, still, daily. Why is is so easy for those horrible words to roll out? So many times I wish I could take it back, but I can't. I'm looking at the cross, too, friend.

Unknown said...

WOW! That was good. I MUST keep myself in check and keep my mouth closed more than open...

Toyin O. said...

Amen, we fall, we get back up in the power of Christ.

Anonymous said...

Great post Sara, loved the analogy. I should learn from this because I really hate snakes! I will try to keep this image in my mind when I go to open my mouth.
Andie

KAT . . . said...

What a blessing you are my sweet friend!
Your ABBA is smiling and so is this sister; not at the bite but at the humble, courageous servant you are to run quickly to the HEALER and then share your journey with us.

Love to you with holy hugs,
Kathie

Connie Arnold said...

We sure need to learn this important lesson. Thank you for sharing this, and blessings to you in your snake stomping!

Craig said...

You are "snake stomper Sarah." I can see God through all of this and I'm looking at the same pole you are. I’m really glad I got a chance to come by today. I always heart your stuff. God bless and keep you and all of yours Sarah - keep stomping on snakes!!

Andrea said...

Oh so with you! I, too have been thinking much more about what comes out of my mouth, lately. I have also been deep in 1 Samuel watching Saul chase after David and praying. Oh how I want to be a David and NOT a Saul.

Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

Hezra said...

oh sweet friend, it is not our mistakes that ruin us, it is our arrogance when we make them that kills our relationship with God and others. You have humility in boatloads. You are such a sweet soul. And so kind to share with us. hugs to you!!